The enhancements kick off a year of major medical and scientific meetings and sporting events
The Hawai‘i Convention Center is expanding its client and guest services, adding a new pop-up café and bar, as well as amenities for enhanced planning and on-site convenience.
1801 Café + Bar in the Center’s main lobby offers high-quality, fresh-made snacks, lunch items, beverages and local treats and gift items. For evening or other special events, a bar with signature cocktails, craft beer and wine is available. A large counter seating area offers convenience and comfort steps from the Center’s ballrooms.
The Center, which won several national meetings awards in 2018, recently added numerous guest, business and planning amenities, including:
- An easily accessible business center on the Center’s 3rd floor that offers a comprehensive selection of business services, such as a copier, fax machine, printer, computer, phone, office tools, USB charging ports and desk space, as well as scooter rentals and Hawaii-sourced snacks;
- 12 luxurious massage chairs to provide a moment for relaxation;
- Two secure charging station locker bays located at key points throughout the building, so guests never have to worry when their mobile device battery is running low;
- Contemporary furniture with large plush cushions, available throughout the Center to provide enhanced gathering spaces and comfort for guests in the Center’s famous open-air setting;
- An online interactive map and 3D floor plans that allow planners and guests to view and tour Center services and spaces at their convenience;
- Complementary light-use Wi-Fi in all public spaces throughout the Center;
- A floral arrangement and plant rental program, featuring a variety of tropical flowers, greenery and vases;
- Eye-catching digital signage in high-traffic locations for easy exhibit or event promotion;
- The Hoʻomaluō conservation program, which offers community involvement opportunities and a variety of efforts tailored to making each event more responsible, efficient and sustainable.
This spring, the Center will also add a specially designed Mamava nursing pod to provide a secure, comfortable and private lactation space for mothers.
“The Hawai‘i Convention Center is always evaluating ways that we can improve the conference experience for our guests, providing them with increased visibility, accessibility and functional ways to use our versatile spaces,” said Teri Orton, general manager, Hawai'i Convention Center, managed by AEG Facilities. “In 2019, we will be hosting a variety of world-class meetings and sporting events, enhancing international attendance through our central geographic location.”
The Center is preparing for a year of medical and scientific events, drawing renowned researchers, presentations and exhibitors:
- In February, the American Stroke Association’s International Stroke Conference, the world’s premier meeting dedicated to the science and treatment of cerebrovascular disease;
- In March, the Society of Gynecologic Oncology’s 50th Annual Meeting on Women’s Cancer, bringing together the best in women’s cancer care;
- In April, the 16th International Hawaii Summit on Preventing, Assessing & Treating Trauma Across the Lifespan, hosted by the Institute on Violence, Abuse and Trauma;
- In May, the American Roentgen Ray Society’s annual meeting, including instructional courses, scientific paper presentations, and scientific exhibits on radiology;
- In July, the National Medical Association 2019 Annual Convention & Scientific Assembly, a leading gathering to advance parity in medicine, the elimination of health disparities and the promotion of optimal health;
- In July, the 15th International Congress of Toxicology, discussing toxicology solutions for global public, environmental and personal health;
- In September, OceanObs’19, an international meeting to develop strategies for a sustained, multidisciplinary and integrated ocean observing system, and better connect user communities and observers.
- In November, the Health Span Hawaii Summit 2019, discussing advancements in the field of regenerative medicine;
In addition, the Center’s versatile athletic courts are drawing international and regional sporting events in 2019, including the AAU Trans Pacific Volleyball Championships and the AAU Volleyball Hawai‘i Grand Prix this winter, the Varsity Spirit Championships and the Jump Dance Convention in the spring, the Aloha Region Summer Volleyball Classic and Pacific Rim Basketball Championships this summer, and the Pacific Rim Futsal Cup near the end of the year.
The Hawai‘i Convention Center received several major awards in 2018, including the Readers’ Choice Award from SportsEvents magazine, the Platinum Choice award from Smart Meetings magazine, the Prime Site Award from Facilities & Destinations magazine, and the Hawai‘i Green Business Program Award commendation from the State of Hawai‘i. The Center was also among fewer than 300 organizations from around the world to receive a 2018 Stella Award from Northstar Meetings Group, recognizing consistent quality, service and innovation to meeting and event professionals.
About the Hawai‘i Convention Center
“Where Business and Aloha Meet,” the 1.1 million-square-foot Hawai‘i Convention Center provides a spacious, modern and flexible meeting space in the heart of Honolulu – all with an award-winning team and renowned aloha spirit. Conveniently located between East and West, the Center is a global leader for a diverse array of meetings and events, just steps from 30,000 hotel rooms in iconic Waikiki. The Center is a state-owned facility opened in 1998, and is managed by AEG Facilities. For more, visit HawaiiConvention.com.
About AEG Facilities
AEG, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Anschutz Company, is the leading sports and live entertainment company in the world. AEG Facilities, a stand-alone division of AEG, and its affiliates owns, operates or consults with more than 150 of the industry’s preeminent venues worldwide, across five continents, providing complete venue management, as well as specialized programs in operations, guest services, ticketing, booking, sales and marketing. AEG Facilities also provides resources and access to other AEG-affiliated entities, including AEG Presents, one of the largest live music companies in the world, AEG Global Partnerships and AEG Real Estate, as well as such industry leading programs as AEG 1Earth and AEG Encore to support the success of its venues across the globe. The Los Angeles-based organization owns, operates or provides services to the world’s most elite venues, including STAPLES Center and Microsoft Theater (Los Angeles, CA), StubHub Center (Carson, CA), Sprint Center (Kansas City, MO.), Valley View Casino Center (San Diego, CA), KFC Yum! Center (Louisville, KY.), AmericanAirlines Arena (Miami, Fla.), Barclays Center (Brooklyn, N.Y.), Target Center (Minneapolis, MN), Oracle Arena and Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (Oakland, CA), PPG Paints Arena (Pittsburgh, PA), Mercedes-Benz Arena (Shanghai, China), Cadillac Arena (Beijing, China), The O2 (London, England), Mercedes-Benz Arena (Berlin, Germany), Barclaycard Arena (Hamburg, Germany), SSE Hydro (Glasgow, UK), RAC Arena (Perth, Australia), Qudos Bank Arena and ICC (Sydney, Australia), Ericsson Globe Arena (Stockholm, Sweden), Los Angeles Convention Center (Los Angeles, Calif.), Hawai‘i Convention Center (Honolulu, HI), Puerto Rico Convention Center (San Juan, Puerto Rico) and the Oman Convention & Exhibition Center (Muscat, Oman). For more, visit aegworldwide.com.
# # #
President, TLC PR